- Windows 10 Support »
- Monitor Flickering Issue
Issue: Monitor Flickering On and Off Windows 10
Most of the Windows users usually do not come across the flickering screen on their computer. But if you have updated your Windows OS to Windows 10 and are facing display issues like flickering, you are in for a task. The monitor flickering on and off Windows 10 issue is likely to be caused because of the outdated applications installed on your Windows computer, or some issues with the display drivers or graphic card drivers installed.
We will now come across some troubleshooting methods to see how to get rid of the flickering screen on your computer.
Method 1: Uninstall Applications
With the vast number of applications stored on your Windows computer, they could cause an monitor flickering on and off error or two in the display section.
- Click the Windows (Start) icon located at the bottom-left corner of the desktop window.
- Type Settings in the search bar and press the Enter button.
- The Settings window will open.
- Click the System option in the Settings window and then select Apps & Features.
- You can easily select the apps that you seem to have not used recently.
- You can just simply right-click on any application and select the Uninstall option from the list.
- Click the Uninstall button.
- You also have the option of uninstalling the program from the Control Panel window.
- Click the Windows (Start) icon and select the Control Panel from the right page of the menu.
- The Control Panel window will open.
- Click the option Uninstall a program.
- You can then select the program you want to uninstall from the list.
- Click the Uninstall button located right above the list to confirm the uninstallation.
Method 2: Reinstall Graphics Card Drivers
- Open the Device Manager (Windows key + X).
- Choose the installed graphic card from the Device manager list, right-click, and select the Uninstall option.
- Now select all the drivers related to the graphic card, select the Uninstall option.
- Restart the computer and make sure the computer has access to stable Internet.
- Open the web browser, enter the graphic card manufacturer URL in the address bar, and download the updated version of the graphic card drivers.
Method 3: Update Driver
- Open the Run command (Windows key + R).
- Type devmgmt.msc in the Run command and press the Enter button.
- The Device Manager will now open.
- Locate and expand the Disk Drive option from the Device Manager.
- Right-click on the outdated drive and select the option Update Driver. That help to avoid the issue monitor flickering on and off.
Method 4: Update Graphic Driver
You can update your graphic card in safe mode. Follow the steps as described below.
- Open the Settings window from the Start menu.
- The Settings window will open.
- Select Update & Security.
- Click the Recovery option.
- In the Advanced Startup section, select the Restart Now button.
- Click Troubleshoot and select the Advanced options from the blue screen.
- Click the Startup Settings option.
- Click Restart. Your computer will now reboot.
- Select the 4th option that says Enable Safe Mode.
- Open the Device Manager window and uninstall the device driver.
- Right-click on the driver and select the Uninstall option.
- Click the checkbox beside the Delete the driver software for this device option.
- Click the OK button.
- Restart the computer again to reinstall the driver.
- Open the Settings window. Click the Update and Security option.
- On the left pane, select the option Windows Update.
- Click the Check for updates button.
- The new updates will be installed.
Method 5: Run A Chkdsk Scan
- Run a Chkdsk command on your computer to get rid of any kind of error on one of the disks on your Windows 10 computer.
- Click the Windows (Start) icon and type Command prompt in the search bar.
- Right-click on the Command Prompt and select the option Run as Administrator.
- When the Command Prompt opens, type the command Chkdsk*/r and press the Enter button. (Replace the * with the Drive letter on your computer to scan all the drives)
- The system will be scanned and the errors will be fixed.
- The monitor flickering on and off error on your Windows 10 computer should have been fixed now.