- Windows 10 Support »
- Windows Error code 0x80070057
HOW TO FIX WINDOWS UPDATE ERROR 0X80070057?
The error 0X80070057 may occur on Windows when you are trying to back up a file or update your Windows operating system. This Windows operating system error occurs as a Windows update error, Parameter incorrect error, and Microsoft Office error. The Windows update error may also occur when you don’t have the space to update Windows to the latest version.Consider the procedure given below to fix the Windows update error 0X80070057.
- On your keyboard, press the Windows and R button together to open the Run dialog box.
- On your computer, open the System root folder and select SoftwareDistribution.
- Select the Rename option from the list.
- Enter the new name as SoftwareDistribution.old. You will be prompted to permit the admin to rename the folder. Continue by entering the admin password.
- Press the Start menu, and type Services and open it from the displayed list.
- Check whether the Windows Update status is “Started.”
- Once you have made the changes, restart your computer to solve the issue.
If the above process fails, follow the steps given below to solve the update error code 0X80070057. You will often face this issue when you update your computer to the Windows latest version.
Step 1: Configuring Automatic Updates
- Press the Start button and type Run in the search box.
- Open the Run dialog box and type gpedit.msc. Then, click the OK button.
- When the Local Group Policy Editor window displays, click on the Computer Configuration icon to fix the windows update error 0x80070057.
- Locate Administrative Templates and open it.
- Double-click the Windows Components folder and select the Windows Update option in the left panel.
- Type “Configure Automatic Updates” in the search box and select it.
- If the Not Configured option is selected, click the Start button.
- Type cmd in the search box and select the cmd.exe file. Then, click the Run as Administrator.
- If prompted for User control access, click Yes.
- When the Command prompt window opens, enter gpupdate/force. Then, press the Enter button.
- Once the process gets completed, the Windows computer starts a reboot.
- After the computer restarts, check whether you can use the Updates feature.
Step 2: Running a Disk Cleanup process
- If your operating system partition has gone defective, it is recommended to run a disk cleanup.
- In the Open Problematic Partition, click the Tools tab.
- Under the Error Checking section, click on the check button to find any errors on the computer to fix the windows update error 0x80070057.
Step 3: Running Windows Update Troubleshooter
- The built-in Windows update troubleshooter helps to fix the update error quickly.
- Go to Settings and select Update & Security.
- Click the Troubleshoot option in the left panel.
- Open the Troubleshoot window and select the Windows Update option. Then, click the Run the troubleshooter tab to scan for any issues and solve the error files of Windows Components.
Step 4: Microsoft Servicing Stack Update download
- Check your operating system version before downloading SSU.
- Go to Settings and select the System option.
- In the About section, you can view your system’s OS version, whether it is 32-bit or 64-bit.
- Go to the official Microsoft website from your web browser. Select Update Catalog and download the latest version of SSU.
Step 5: Resetting all Windows Update files using the Command prompt
- If the error prompts again, it is recommended to reset all the Windows component files.
- Enter the proper commands in the Command prompt window to reset the data.
Step 6: Fixing using the SFC and DISM commands
- You can run the SFC and DISM command by opening the command prompt window.
- Run as administrator and open the Command Prompt.
- Enter the command: DISM.exe/ Online/ Cleanup-image/ Restorehealth. Press Enter.
- Using the System File Checker tool, enter the command as sfc/ scannow.
- Now, exit the Command prompt window and check whether you can update your operating system to the latest version.
Step 7: Uninstalling other third party software
- If you installed any third party tools or programs on your computer recently, uninstall the software and check whether the Windows update is working.
- Once you have done all the above settings, restart your computer. Then, check for the windows updates, whether it is solved.
- You can contact our technical support team regarding the windows update error 0x80070057 and solutions. We can remotely assist you in solving any errors occurring on your computer/laptop. Click on the Call button on this page to get in touch with us.