- Windows 10 Support »
- SMB Server Windows 10
How To Setup SMB Server Windows 10?
An SMB (Server Message Block) is a networking file share protocol on Windows 10 computers. Using the SMB server, you can read & write files. You can also perform various service requests to the network devices. If you wish to setup SMB server Windows 10 computer, follow the below-mentioned steps.
Method 1: Using the Command Prompt app
- Click the Start menu and type ‘cmd’ in the search panel.
- From the search result, give a right-click on the Command Prompt tab and select the Run as administrator option.
- In the Command Prompt window, type ‘DISM /Online /Enable-Feature /All /FeatureName: SMB1Protocol‘ and press the Enter key.
- This will activate the SMB server on your Windows 10 computer.
- Once you have activated the SMB server, the computer will display the ‘Operation succeed’ message.
- Restart your computer and check if you can connect to the network device on the local network.
Method: 2 Setting up the SMB server using the Control Panel app
- Setup SMB server Windows 10, first, click the Start menu available at the bottom-left corner of the screen.
- Next, type’ control panel’ in the search panel and press the Enter key.
- From the search result, give a double-click on the Control Panel tab to open the app.
- In the Control Panel window, click the Programs tab and select the ‘Turn Windows features on or off’ link.
- On the ‘Turn Windows features on or off’ screen, expand the SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support folder.
- From the drop-down list, enable the SMB 1.0/CIFS Client checkbox.
- Click the OK button and restart your Windows computer.
- After restarting, check if you can connect to network devices running the SMB protocol on your local network.
- If everything is working correctly, the SMB server set up has been executed successfully.
- If it fails, update your OS and disable the SMB 1.0/CIFS Client checkbox.
- When the system is updated, the SMBv2 (SMB version 2) will be enabled by default after the completion of setup SMB server Windows 10 computer.