How to reinstall Windows 10 using Installation media?
We recommend you to try resetting your PC using installation media at first, instead of reinstalling Windows 10 with Installation media (this will clean your Windows fully).
Note : Performing the below steps will delete all your existing personal files, applications and drivers from your computer and also the chages made to the settings.
Recovery Options in Windows 10
How to restore your computer using Installation media?
- Go to the download page on our website and click on the download button for Installation media.
- Once you download the media creation tool, run the file on your computer.
- Choose Create Installation media for another PC.
- Click on 64-bit or 32-bit for architecture, and choose your language and edition.
- Select Finish by following the steps to create the installation media.
- On your non-working PC connect the installation media you created, and then turn it on.
- Before you select Next, enter your language and other preferences on the initial setup screen
- Go to our xxxxx-website and click on the media creation tool to download from your computer.
- Try to run the media creation tool.
- Select the option Create Installation media for another PC.
- Choose a 64-bit or 32-bit architecture, language and edition
- Create the installation media by following the steps on the screen, and then select Finish to complete.
- Turn on the created installation media and connect it to your non-working computer.
- Fill in your language and other preferences on the initial setup screen, and then select Next.
- If you cannot find the setup screen, your computer may not be in a condition to boot from a drive. To change your computer’s boot order, go through the manufacturer’s website and then try again
- Choose the Install now option
- Enter the product key if you have one, on the Enter the product key to activate Windows page
If you have activated the Windows 10 key for free or purchased it from the Windows store, select Skip; Windows 10 will be activated later automatically.
For more information, go to our website and look for activating Windows 10.
- Select I accept the license terms and click Next on the License terms page.
- Choose Custom from which type of installation do you want page.
- Go to where do you want to install Windows page, select a partition, and select a formatting option (if required), and follow the instructions on your computer screen.
- Select Next once you are done with formatting
- To finish Windows 10 installation follow the rest of the steps provided on the computer screen.
- If you do not find the setup screen, then your computer might not be setup to boot from a drive. To go through this step verify your computer manufacturer’s manual or website on how to change the boot order of your PC.
- Try connecting the installation media once again.
- Choose the option Repair your computer.
- Then select Troubleshoot -> Advanced options -> System Restore from the Choose an option screen
This will delete all your recent files, updates and uninstalls applications, drivers that causes issue to your computer. But the personal files remains unaffected.
How to go back to the previous Windows version after upgrading Windows 10?
Follow the below steps to retain the earlier version of Windows (8 or 8.1).
- Go to Settings, click Update and security & select the option Recovery
- To check the version of Windows 10 on your computer after upgrade, select the Start button, then select Settings -> System -> About.
- Requirement to go back to older version of Windows.
- After Windows 10 upgrade, save everything that exists in the windows.old and $windows.~bt folders.
- If you have added any user accounts after the upgrade, make note of it.
- Remember the password to use to sign in to Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, if you have used one earlier.
- Keep the USB drive that was used to upgrade Windows 10, if you already have one
Note : If you reinstall Windows 8 or 8.1, few applications that came with Windows, like mail and people may not work permanently. You can reinstall them from the store and fix it.
If you cannot go back to the earlier version, follow the below steps.
Restoring your PC to factory settings.
This option will remove all the personal files, applications and drivers that was installed and reinstalls the version of Windows that came with your computer.
It also removes the changes that you have made to settings.
Go to Settings -> Update & Security -> Recovery -> Reset this PC -> Get Started and search for Restore factory settings option.
Use the media creation tool to create the installation media for Windows 8.1 or Windows 7, if you have a product key or the serial number for the same.
It allows you to do a complete installation of the previous version of your Windows operating system.
For Window Insider use the following option to get back to your older Windows OS
Go to Settings -> Update & Security -> Recovery -> Click on Go back to an earlier build.
This will ensure that your personal files are not removed, but it will delete your recently installed applications and drivers; retains your default settings.
Note: Using the option go back to an earlier build will not remove you from the Insider Program, and it will be reinstalled on your PC when a new one is built.