- Windows 10 Support »
- Windows 10 Cortana Troubleshooter
Tips For Windows 10 Cortana Troubleshooter..! (Backup)
Ensure that you have full administrative privileges
If a standard account is being used, then this may prevent the Windows 10 applications from presenting the Windows 10 offer. If the installation is done from the Media Creation Tool, then that will also be blocked as setup will not have the required privileges to write setup files to the hard disk.
- Windows key plus R should be pressed
- Enter – control userpasswords and then press Enter on the keyboard
- Click on Change account type
Ensure that the account privileges are set to Administrator.If the computer forms part of a business network, then you will be required change your PC to Workgroup mode.
Restoring redirected Personal folders back to their original location
If personal folders are kept on another drive or partition for additional space, then this may also prevent Windows from installing properly. Therefore, it is recommended that these files are restored to their original location while fixing the windows 10 cortana troubleshooter problem .
Multiple storage devices and hard disks should be disconnected
If personal folders are kept on another drive or partition for additional space, then this may also prevent Windows from installing properly. Therefore, it is recommended that these files are restored to their original location.
Drivers &software ready for reinstallation (if the need arises)
Even if the upgrade was done without a hitch, there may be chance of the upgrade breaking an application or hardware driver. Hence make a note of all the required applications and hardware driver CDs that requires re installation. Verify the latest updates for your Windows 10 computer with the manufacturer and the application updates on its respective websites. Validate the software compatibility for your windows 10 Computer. In addition, make sure you have downloaded the latest touchpad drivers while to use the updated drivers to avoid the windows 10 cortana troubleshooter problem
Deactivate applications and recover product keys
Before running the setup, do remember to de authorize and deactivate the software such as iTunes or Adobe programs on your Windows 10 computer. It is because some software programs might recognize an update as a new machine and might trigger product activation.
- To deauthorize iTunes, you will have to press the Alt key, click account and then click Deauthorize This Computer.
- To deauthorize Adobe programs on your Windows 10 Computer, click Help and then Deactivate click.
Do remember to have a backup of your product keys for Windows, Office and Adobe products always.
Backup your personal files and settings
Before installing a new version of Windows or while making any changes or upgrade to your PC, it is advisable to back up your system as it may prevent from loss of data while clearing the windows 10 cortana troubleshooter problem.
Troubleshooting Cortana in Windows 10
Windows 10 cortana troubleshooter is the new outstanding software introduced by Microsoft that is added as a special feature to Windows 10.
All of us might be aware of the Siri software introduced by Apple for iPhone 4s and later models. Similarly Cortana is a voice-activated personal assistant, which gets you the weather forecasts, send email, find files, set reminders, tell you jokes, and search your browser as per your requirement.
Note : Cortana is not available in all countries or regions; its features may not be available everywhere. If you find that Cortana is turned off or not available, use the search option instead.
The below document help you to troubleshoot if you cannot open the Start Menu or Cortana.
Step 1: Check for updates:
- Press Windows icon + R key together on your keyboard
- Type ms-settings on the window that opens when you press Windows key +R.
- Selecting OK opens the settings.
- First choose Update & Security then Windows Update from the settings.
- Then select Check for updates. If any update is available, install it and restart your computer if required or prompted.
Obtain assistance over the phone to activate your product key :
Try the below step if Cortana does not run in Windows 10.
Step 2: Restart your computer.
Though you do not find any updates, it is recommended to restart your computer.
- Go to the power off option, click on the Restart icon and wait for your system to turn on.
- This will ensure that your computer’s pending updates are installed automatically after restarting.
- Use the below step if restarting your computer does not help.
Step 3: Use the Troubleshooter.
Windows 10 has an inbuilt automatic troubleshooting software that will help you resolve any basic level of computer issues, and save time in searching the troubleshooting steps.
If the above method does not work, try creating a new local administrator account as explained in the below step.
Step 4: Adding a new local administrator account.
The administrator account may work as an alternate to open the Start menu or Windows 10 cortana troubleshooter.
If you already have an account with Microsoft, as a very first step remove the link by following the below procedure.
- Press Windows Key +R together on your keyboard.
- Type the command ms-settings and then click OK. This opens the Windows settings.
- Select the option Accounts.
- Instead of selecting your Microsoft account, click on sign in with a local account.
- Choose a new account name, password, and set a password hint if required.
- Click on Finish and sign out.
Steps to create new Administrator account:
- On your keyboard, press and hold Windows key and letter R together to open a new command window.
- Type ms-settings in the provided space and then select OK.
- Follow the option Family & other people (for Windows 10 Enterprise) or other people by selecting the Accounts option.
- If it is the other people, choose Add someone else to this PC.
- Choose your PC name, set a username and password on Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Professional. Now click on Next.
- Choose the option I don’t have this person’s sign-in information, and then select Add a user without a Microsoft account on your Widows 10 Enterprise.
- Complete the step by setting a user name, password and provide the password hint, so that the computer helps you to remember the same when you forget it sometimes.
Obtain assistance over the phone to activate your product key :
Change the new account as an administrator account.
- From the family & other people, or other people(for Windows 10 Enterprise) select the new account created by you and then select the option Change account type.
- Select Administrator -> OK under the Account type
Log out of your existing Microsoft account and log in with your new account. If you are able to open windows 10 cortana troubleshooter or the Start menu, it is advisable to move all your personal files to the new account so that you do not lose any data.
If the issue still persists, delete the old administrator account as below:
- In Other users, select your old administrator account, click on Remove and select Delete account and data.
- Restart your computer and sign in with your new Microsoft account again, once the old account is removed.
In the settings tab, configure the new Microsoft account by clicking the Accounts option, select Sign in with a Microsoft account instead of Microsoft account with a new administrator account; enter your account information and save the details.
Still if the issue persists, follow the next step.
Step 5: Reset the computer.
Reset your PC using the Windows 10 recovery options provided below.
Resetting your PC keeps your files clean or remove them completely. The next step is reinstallation of Windows 10.
Go to Settings -> Update & Security ->Reset this PC -> Get Started and select an option.
- You can reset the Cortana by resetting your computer from the sign-in screen if you cannot open the Settings.
- Press the Windows key +L from your keyboard to go to the sign-in screen.
- While you click on Power off or Restart button, hold the Shift key down in the lower-right corner of the screen.
- Once the computer restarts, select Troubleshoot -> Reset this PC.
Option 1: Keep my files.
If you click on the option keep my files, Windows 10 performs the below steps.
- Your personal files will be retained and Windows 10 is reinstalled.
- The new applications and drivers that has been installed will be removed
- The changes made to settings will be removed.
- Any inbuilt application or Windows 10 that has been installed by the computer manufacturer will be removed from your computer.
Option 2: Remove Everything.
- Windows 10 is reinstalled; personal files are removed from your computer.
- The drivers and applications are removed from your system permanently. You can reinstall it again
- Removes the changes made to the computer settings.
- Deletes all the applications and the Windows 10 operating system from the computer if provided by the computer manufacturer.
Note: If you wish to clean your entire computer before you sell, lend, or recycle it, the above option is useful so that it becomes difficult for others to recover your removed files.
Option 3: Restore factory settings.
Your computer will be reinstalled with the version of Windows (either 8 or 8.1) at the time you bought your PC from.
- The existing drivers and applications are removed from your computer
- Disables the changes you have made to the settings.
- Reinstalls any of the applications pre-installed by your computer manufacturer. To do the above given steps sure to fic the windows 10 cortana troubleshooter problem
Please note that this option may not be available in all computers.
Note: If you reset your PC within 10 days of upgrading to Windows 10, the option in Settings will not let you install the previous version of Windows (8 or 8.1) that came with your PC.